Wednesday, February 14, 2007

now reading...

Today, I was desperate. It was my lunch break and time was ticking away but I needed something to read before starting my meal. I went to the New Books shelves to find something quickly before I was spotted in the stacks and asked a question. My eyes flew over the spines, searching for something pink. It seems that in the book work, pink equals chick lit, just my kind of book. Shelf after shelf went by and there was nothing that caught my eye. I was starting to worry--what if I couldn't find a book? What was I going to read? Last week, while in the same predicament, I had read the new issues of Martha Stewart Living and Better Homes and Gardens--what would I read today? Then my eyes set on Happiness Sold Separately by Lolly Winston. This title has been on my to-read list since it came out last year.

I loved this author's first book, Good Grief. I think I read that about two years ago when I was engaged. I figured it was okay to read a book about one's husband dying before I was married, but not after, so I remember trying to finish it quickly before too much wedding planning got underway. While I remember so many great moments from that book, what stands out the most in my memory is how the protagonist creates savory cheesecakes and opens her own shop. I thought this was great--savory cheesecakes!

I dream of starting a dessert catering business--I'm not sure I want a storefront that I would have to maintain, but I love the idea of baking things to order in my own kitchen. I have been thinking of it quite a bit over the past few days because of the cookbook I've been reading (Buttercup Bakes at Home). My friend Kate B once told me of a woman who baked for the rich ladies in her neighborhood, since none of them had time to do it themselves, but yet wanted homemade baked goods.

Of course, this is all part of my plan to be able to stay home with my baby. But I realize (with the help of the Food Network) that starting a home-based business wouldn't give me more time with her, it would probably take up more time than I am away from her now, besides all the hard work that would have to go into running a business. I'll be honest, I have no idea how to run a company. I knew I should have majored in Business!

K

No comments: