Sunday, October 14, 2007

Life on the Refridgerator Door: A Novel in Notes

On Lissa's suggestion (but now I can't find her review on her blog) and after reading a review in a library publication, I read this book during my lunch break a couple of weeks ago. I admit, I knew how it ended just because at my library, the reference librarians have to check the cataloging of every adult book purchased--so seeing the subject heading Breast--Cancer--Fiction basically runied the ending for me. Knowing this, I read it anyway, interested in a book composed entirely of notes between a mother and daughter. (There have been books consisting of only emails or text messages, but I think this is the first in notes.) I admit, I tried very hard to hold back the tears so that my two male coworkers wouldn't see me crying at my desk during my lunch. The book was short and sweet, and made me grateful for the days I have had so far with Addison, and I prayed that I might be with her until we are both old and gray.

K

10-18-07 update: found Lissa's review: http://papercuts.tscpl.org/2007/09/60_second_video_book_review_li.html#comments

1 comment:

Lissa said...

I am still passing my copy of the book around (Denise has it now in IL actually). Short but poignant. And I ended up crying openly at my desk at lunch as well.