Wednesday, March 28, 2007

not reading

My book group chose This is not chick lit : original stories by America's best women writers. I should have known that I wouldn't like it. In the introduction, the editor says that because of the emergence of chick lit, worthy, better, literary female authors are being overlooked in favor of bubblegum pink titles. So the heck what? At least chick lit isn't depressing (most of the time). I tried to read this book, I really did. But when the first short story talks about incest, I'm already done with it. The book is no longer a method of escape and enjoyment for me, it is another reminder of the grim world in which we live. Instead of giving up after that second page, I finished that story and two others. I'm still not impressed and feel that reading this book will only take my time away from more worthy pursuits: craft books and chick lit novels.

K

1 comment:

Sue-diddly-udinym said...

HI-larious (and frustrating, I agree).

This actually reminds me of a book I read a few years ago after receiving it as a Christmas present. Apparently, it was wildly popular, but I thought it was about as boring as a disturbing book could be. I guess the pseudo-spirituality surrounding the rape and murder of a little girl made it "insightful" or "moving" or "worthwhile" reading for some -- but not for me.

I did finish it. But the only reason it's still on my shelf: I don't want anyone else wasting their money on it at a thrift store.

Do you know of anyplace that recyles bad books?

Mrs. Bancks