Wednesday, March 25, 2009

stretching meat

In an effort to cut back on grocery bills, I have been investigating ways to stretch meat. We like to make double batches of everything when we cook, so that we only have to cook once, but get to eat twice, but I'm interested in getting a double batch worth's of tacos, say, by using only one pound of ground beef.

Last week, I made chicken tacos. Using only one pound of chicken, I added tons of chopped onions and green peppers (frozen from last summer), made all the tacos up with half of a usual portion of the meat filling, and added a copious amount of mexican rice with diced tomatoes. The tacos tasted great and we were able to make many more than usual because of the addition of rice.

I've found several ideas and recipes online for things that we normally eat where the meat can be stretched:

If you are looking for new affordable meal ideas, you might want to check out this list of the Top 100 Blogs for the Frugal Gourmet.

No comments: