Wednesday, March 11, 2009

why i'm weird

Back in November, I was tagged by Sue to list seven weird things about myself. (Unlike Sue, I asked my husband's help to come up with seven to reveal because I know there are plenty of weird things about myself, I just don't happen to think they are that weird.)


Fact #1--I hate eating hot food. If it's hot, I just have to wait for it to be cool enough to eat without burning my tongue, and normally I'm too hungry to wait. My friends in Topeka used to tease me all the time about how I wouldn't heat up my lunch and would just eat it cold.


Fact #2--When I brush my teeth, I brush them for a really long time. I usually walk around the house because I don't want to be standing in the bathroom alone for all that time. I should time myself sometime.


Fact #3--I used to take naps under my parents' dining room table. In college after I would eat dinner, I would immediately vacate my parents' dining room chairs (because they are so uncomfortable), grab a pillow, and crawl beneath the table, where I had a perfect view of the tv. I would pretend to watch tv until I fell asleep, usually by 9 pm. I blame all those late nights writing papers.


Fact #4--I was once a hair model. At some high school event, I won a free haircut to a salon in NKC. The stylist I just happened to get was promoting some line of product (cannot remember which one now) at a hotel off the Plaza, and needed models to demonstrate the products. I had my makeup professionally done, and then had to sit on a stool while the stylist did my hair. I got lots of free products, but it was hard sitting there, trying to smile, while my hair was constantly being flipped in my face.


Fact #5--During my childhood, we attended lots of different churches. I once tried to keep track but I lost count at 14. They were all Protestant, and ranged from Presbyterian (I was christened at the First Presbyterian Church in North Kansas City) to nondenominational. Add this to the fact that I spent 12+ years attending a Lutheran school, and you can imagine my mix of beliefs. And now I am a member of a Southern Baptist church...


Fact #6--I have had the same email address for 10 years. I came up with it during my senior year seminar. In that class, I talked to people I never hung out with. One guy thought I looked like Katie Holmes, since Dawson's Creek was big at the time (our teacher let us bring in episodes to watch during class--I have no idea why). So when I set up my email address in spring 1999, I chose my nickname, katie_h.


Fact #7--I have to make my bed every day. When I was little, I got into the habit of laying out my sheet and blanket very perfectly with no wrinkles. Now I can't stand the thought of getting into an unmade bed which has had all day to get dirty with the bottom sheet exposed. Sometimes I'm even late to work because I have to make my bed before I leave the house.

No comments: