Saturday, November 1, 2008

Certain Girls

As I look over my posts, I notice the lack of any reading. From last fall until April, I simply could not read. I couldn't focus my brain on anything longer than a magazine article. I tried to start a couple of books, but nothing kept my attention.

And for reasons unbeknowst to me, I was able to pick up a book in April and not only start to read it, but also finish it.

And now since May, I have been reading quite a lot. Having lots of sit down time nursing during the day and in the middle of the night lets you accomplish quite a bit of reading. I've been trying to keep a paper list, since I haven't been keeping up with things here, but I know I've left some out (which is probably good, in some cases). I've been wavering on whether or not to annotate my list, but I think I will, as much as I can remember.

So, on to the first:
Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner
finished mid-May, 2008

This book is the follow-up to Weiner's first book, Good In Bed. Before Certain Girls came out, I went back and read Weiner's first two books, so I would be up-to-date. It's nice to be able to see where these characters are now, several years after the first book takes place. Now, six months later, of course the only thing I can remember is the end, which I hated. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I can talk in only vague terms, but really, I cannot believe Weiner did what she did. And, since it happened so close to the end of the book, I felt like Weiner rushed to the last page, not fully developing the aftermath. Maybe she was leaving herself open to another sequel, but I thought it was pathetic.
Regardless, it was interesting reading this novel about the relationship between a mother and her pre-teen daughter on the cusp of having my second daughter.

K

No comments: