Monday, November 17, 2008

The Friday Night Knitting Club

I don't like when books end in a way that totally shocks me (see Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner). The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs totally caught me off guard. I guess it was my own naivety that I didn't see it coming, or at least acknowledge the signs, but I typically read books that have happy endings. Oh well.

This book centers on the owner of a knitting shop in Manhattan (I swear, somehow all the books I read take place in either Manhattan or London), Georgia Walker, and her preteen daughter. Georgia started the knitting business as a way to make money while raising her daughter alone. Over the years, her customers have become quite loyal, making her little shop successful. Eventually some regulars happen to come on a Friday night to hang out in the shop and knit, and the Friday Night Knitting Club is born. We follow each of the members and discover the particular trials in each of their lives.

This novel demonstrates the power of friends who become family. I really enjoyed it, despite the ending, and am eagerly awaiting the next book, Knit Two.

K

P.S.--I don't feel like I need to worry about ruining the endings to books I read and blog about here because I'm always six months behind the rest of the world in reading them. But if I have ruined the ending for you or worse, made you not want to start the book to begin with (how very un-librarian of me!), I sincerely apologize.

2 comments:

Kim said...

It is pretty sad that the paralegal read a book club book before the librarian! Then again, not having children does help with extra time. I read this book quite awhlie ago (I passed by it while it was a featured book at Target, it looked good and was on sale, so I bought it). I read it right before The Friendship Group and I suggest you read a book in between to break up the constant reading of "trials and tribulations of friends" books. I'm not a professional....just a suggestion.

Lissa said...

I remember this one -- it made me cry and cry -- Dan came to check on me because he couldn't figure out why a knitting book made me so sad! It was good though!