Monday, November 24, 2008

P.S. I Love You

Several years ago, I read Cecelia Ahern's first novel, P.S. I Love You. I fell in love with this book--the story was incredible and sweet, about a young woman receiving letters from her husband after he dies from brain cancer, and the fact that the author was my same age blew me away--how could someone my age write a book with this much knowledge beyond her years? I'm no fan of Hilary Swank, but I looked forward to seeing the movie when it came out. I finally got my chance to sit down and watch it on Saturday night--the kids were in bed, the husband was out doing errands. And let me tell you, I cried for two hours straight. I remember the book being sad and funny by turns, I certainly didn't cry through the whole thing. But since I had all that backstory from the book that the film didn't include, I couldn't help it. The film differs from the book; the characters live in New York instead of Ireland, although Ireland is a character in the film. The film left out some memorable moments I recall from the book, such as the different adventures the husband leads the wife to experience after he is gone. I don't remember if the heroine ends up dating someone in the book or not, but that storyline runs throughout the film. The film was good on its own, but the book is (always) better. I think I'm ready to read it again.

K
PS--Ahern's other novels are good too--I have not read her latest, There's No Place Like Here, but Rosie Dunne and If You Could See Me Now are excellent.

2 comments:

Sue-diddly-udinym said...

I watched this movie with a pregnant friend of mine when our husbands were on a weekend fishing get-away together. Maybe it's just because I knew I had to go home to an empty apartment, but I (quite unexpectedly and uncontrollably) blubbered through the last 45 minutes of this movie. I felt like such a dork! Glad to hear I'm not alone :o)

farawayfish said...

I cried like a baby through this film! The idea of someone leaving behind something like that is so sweet. If you ever wanted to do it for real, there's this site called www.farawayfish.com, where you can store a profile all about your life, and set emails to be sent out to your loved ones after you've died. So romantic!