Thursday, November 6, 2008

Not Quite a Mom

Complete escapest fiction, thy name is Not Quite a Mom by Kirsten Sawyer.

When browsing the newly returned new fiction shelves for something to read for my first days back at work, I came across this pink book. My usual test for a new book that looks flaky is to read the first page. This one made me laugh by the end of the second paragraph, so I had to give it a chance. I'm actually glad I did.

The plot centers on a woman working in the entertainment industry, disappointed by her current position as fact checker, and dating a wonderfully amazing (but slightly boring and self-centered) lawyer. Her world changes drastically when her best friend from high school, with whom she has not spoken in 10 years, dies and leaves her as guardian of her teenage daughter. The story delightfully winds around her engagement to her lawyer boyfriend, becoming interested in her senior year prom date, and getting to know her charge, Tiffany. Incredibly, the storyline is not completely predictiable, and I really enjoyed the book.

The only part of the story that wasn't appropriately addressed was the grief of all the characters involved. I realize that this was a lighthearted romance, so heavy grief scenes wouldn't have fit, but it seems like a child's grief over losing her mother would have impacted more situations.

K

No comments: