Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Peculiar Treasures

After reading How Dolly Parton Saved My Life, I decided to seek out other newer Christian fiction books. I picked up Peculiar Treasures by Robin Jones Gunn. This is the first in her new series about Katie Weldon, one of the characters who has popped up frequently in her Sierra Jensen and Christy Miller series. (I read only a few of each of those series; my local library never had the complete sets.)

I became a fan of Gunn's when Carol, the cataloger at my first library, asked my mom and I to read a new book that was labeled Christian fiction but had a somewhat steamy cover. Both of us really enjoyed reading that book, Secrets, and subsequently read every book we could by that imprint, Palisades. (Gunn wrote several for Palisades, connecting all of them by giving secondary characters the opportunity to star in their own books.) Palisades has since gone away, much to my regret.

Anyway, back to Peculiar Treasures. This book was everything I remember about strong Christian fiction. The book begins with Katie attending Christy and Todd's wedding (something Christy Miller fans have been waiting for for a very long time). She then starts back for another year at college, undecided about her major and future plans, both relationship- and career-wise. The emotional angst of the novel centers around her relationship with Rick, her kind of almost boyfriend. By the end of the book, Rick and Katie have taken a positive step forward in their relationship and Katie has firmly decided on a major. The next in the series, On a Whim, was due out in October.

K

1 comment:

Amyrlin said...

Thanks for this post. I found it to be helpful! I've read Robin Jones Gunn's Palisades series too. It hasn't gone away, but is now called the Glenbrooke series.

I'm going to go buy Peculiar Treasures now. I loved the Christy Miller series!

--Amy